Noise At Startup

nesnfred5

Feb 26, 2023
Virginia
I've noticed a slight noise at start up, not moving, still in park. It seems to be coming from the left front. Like when as kid we would blow gently into the top of coke bottle and it would make that subtle howling noice. I replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulley a few months back. My guess is the idler fully bearings could be faulty. But before I replace it, just checking to see if anyone else has had this problem and found it to be something different. It tends to eventually go away after driving.

nesnfred5

Feb 26, 2023
Virginia
Just an update for anyone trying to track down a similar noise...I'm convinced at this point that it is the SAIS system. I suspect that the valve assembly under the intake manifold is failing. Not sure if I'm going to wait until it fails or tackle it sooner...it's my understanding that once it fails, the vehicle goes into a limp mode of sorts. There is a company that makes a delete for the SAIS, may consider this. But if my pumps are working fine, which they seem to be (under the passenger fender well) then replacing the valve assembly is not too difficult.

nesnfred5

Feb 26, 2023
Virginia
It's an 08 with 240k...weather has turned warm here and the sound has gone away so have to decide if I'm just going to wait. If it was the SAIS, could be the warmer weather caused one of the valves to unstick.