Hello fellow Sequoias

bassrvr1

Jul 2, 2024
Williamsburg
New to the group and in desperate need of some advice. Had horn issue and replaced clock spring. No horn. Found out I could tap off the ground of the cruise control to the steering wheel and voila….horn. But now I have an airbag light I cannot get rid of.

Thinking I could just order another clock spring on eBay, I looked and found many that said they fit 2003 Sequoia Limited. I ordered a few since they were cheap enough ($25-40) Almost all of them had some variation of plugs, blades, airbag connection. I even ordered from ToyotaPartsDeal.com. ($252) Provided my vin # and still received something different than what I had. Then to make things worse they refused to take it back because it was ‘electrical’. I could not even install it.

How do you avoid getting something different than what you need?

Item on left is oem, on the right what ToyotaPartsDeal.com sent

Attachments

• IMG_3595.jpeg
    IMG_3595.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 55
Update….brought it into the shop. The issue of getting the correct clock spring continues. What I finally got and thought it was an exact replacement had one difference. Pins going into the airbag had 2 where my original had 4…..ugh. Putting some resistors in to do a go around.

Let you know how it works out.

Note: this whole mess came about because of no horn. When I grounded a wire from the cruise control to the wheel, I got a horn, but I also ended up with airbag light. So I drilled down even further based in some Youtube vids, that indicated bearings may be rusty and need cleaned and lubricated in lithium. Apparently the rusted bearings could prevent proper grounding. And boy were they rusted so I did cleaned them DeoxIT and applied lithium grease.

Reassembled everything. And still airbag light!! Plus I must not have assembled it correctly since when I turn hard car shudders. Sometime is off in the steering wheel sensor. Mechanic thinks he knows what I did and will address it.

Now I find out Virginia law was changed in December an airbag is no longer included in inspections.

Shoot me

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back