Timing belt?

eaglerockdude

May 29, 2023
eaglerock ca
When I got my sequoia, I soon found out that it was recommended to replace the timing belt at 100K. I did not drive the car much(just home depot mostly) and I actually asked my mechanic to check it a few years ago when I was going to take a long trip from LA to wine country. He said it looked ok. I guess he opened something up and looked at it.

My daughter got accepted to Berkeley and starts in the fall. So we will be needing to drive from LA to Berkeley more often (did it last week..7 hour drive)...anyway...I don't want to break down on the long stretch of 5. Should I just replace the timing belt now to be safe? I was wondering, if the timing belt is going to go, will it give a little bit or warning, or no warning and just leave you done.

Thats basically my question. Will I be able to tell when it needs replacement?

Thanks in advance.

bajasequoia

Apr 18, 2023
Mexico
Hello
Sometimes it whines, sometimes it doesn't, if i were you and i was in doubt i would just go ahead and do it. You can check the condition by removing a cover that is near the power steering pump but i am not sure how much stuff you have to take apart to get to it. I was in doubt and i need my Sequoia for remote travel in baja so i didn't want to risk it.

eaglerockdude

May 29, 2023
eaglerock ca
Hello
Sometimes it whines, sometimes it doesn't, if i were you and i was in doubt i would just go ahead and do it. You can check the condition by removing a cover that is near the power steering pump but i am not sure how much stuff you have to take apart to get to it. I was in doubt and i need my Sequoia for remote travel in baja so i didn't want to risk it.
Thanks this seems to be the most common opinion. If you have it done you won't worry about it. I did have my mechanic pull of the covers or whatever maybe three years ago before I was going to take a long trip. He said it looked good. That was at about 115,000 miles. Now I have 125,000 or so...I don't really drive it much...But I plan on at least a couple of 7 hour one way trips in the next 6 months, up the 5 from LA to SF...so I will just have it done...to me..having this vehicle is so much cheaper than trying to buy something new, or even another unproven used...or renting something...I am even getting quotes on a paint job..but I will do the belt first...just so busy these days...I gotta make to set it up with my mechanic.